What is the Intensive English Program (IEP)?
The Intensive English Program is a non-credit, non-degree program for individuals who wish to improve their English for academic, professional or personal reasons.

How many levels are in the program?
Six levels from beginning to advanced levels.

How many hours of class are there in a week?
22 hours of class per week.

What are the start dates?
There are 6 start dates in a year. Please see the exact dates on our application form

What are the admission requirements for the English program at IEC?
The applicants must be at least 16 years old. Applicants can apply to IEP and conditional acceptance to Diablo Valley College if they meet DVC’s admissions requirements.

How will my English level be determined?
All new students take the placement tests at orientation. The tests include reading, writing, listening and speaking. Students are placed according to the placement test results.
return to top
How long do I have to study at IEC?
It depends. There are 6 levels. All new students are placed into an appropriate level according to the results of their placement test. When students finish the highest level (Advanced B), they can transfer to Diablo Valley College without a TOEFL score.

Do I need health insurance?
You can purchase through IEC. For more information, please visit our Medical Insurance page

When do I need to pay for tuition?
All tuition and fees are due in the beginning of a session. Students can pay after arrival but no later than the end of the first week of classes. IEC accepts cash, US check, wire transfer and traveler’s checks.

How early do I have to apply?
We recommend students to apply two months before the program start date in order to have sufficient time for the visa interview, purchase of plane tickets, and the arrangement of homestay and airport pick-up. For last minute applications, we recommend students to use our express mail service.

What kind of visa do I need to enroll in the Intensive English Program at IEC?
All international students require an F-1 student visa to pursue a full-time course of study.
return to top
After a student finishes the highest level, does he or she transfer to Diablo Valley College directly without a TOEFL?

Yes. The student can transfer to Diablo Valley College at the beginning of the next semester.

Which colleges accept IEC’s certificate in lieu of a TOEFL score?
Diablo Valley College, Contra Costa College and Los Medanos College. Please inquire about specific colleges.

What happens if a student passes the TOEFL during the middle of a session?
The student has to finish the current session, and be transferred to DVC after the end of the current session.

When should new students report to IEC?

New students must attend the orientation which is held on the first two days of each program start date. During the orientation, students take the placement tests and receive information on visa and classes.

What are some important things that a new student should bring to the USA or do before going to the USA?
Here are just some suggestions: They can consider in bringing some medicine that you have been taking, a laptop, an electronic dictionary, a heavy winter jacket, a pair of sunglasses. They should also see a dentist and buy an extra pair of eye glasses.

return to top

Find us on Facebook
Photo Gallery
Photo Gallery
IEC Blog
Watch our Video